Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I SPY

I am going to wait to get my 2005 recap up on my blog until most of the invites to read my blog have been accepted. I am waiting on 19 people! I hate posting stuff when not many people are reading it. I know going private was the right thing for us but I hope I don't have to sacrifice the readers I already gained.

Thought I would share what I am working on for Super Saturday. I am teaching a class on homemade gifts. My most favorite item we are going to make is an I SPY Bag.




This is not my pic but it shows you what we are making. I do not have pics of my bags yet. I thought you all would be interested in these since they are sooo easy to make (you don't even need to sew well, just sew the best straight line you can), they are fun to make and kids LOVE them. They are great for sacrament meeting, or the airplane, or Dr. office, etc...

When I first bought stuff to make these bags I went all out and spent way too much. The materials cost me 20-25 bucks. Since I am teaching this class I need to keep the cost to 10 bucks or under. I have spent days and days doing research and I finally found a way to make these bags for 10 bucks. I found cute stuff too! I think I found cuter stuff than what other people put in their bags. You can buy them online or make them and choose what you put in. You can do themes like holiday, outdoor, sports, etc... The super Saturday bags we are making are ABC bags. The bag will have each letter A-Z and 1 miniature object that starts with each letter.

If you want directions on how to make the bags visit this website:

http://rosie-baby-crafty.blogspot.com/2007/08/i-spy-bags.html

Go to walmart, craft stores, and party supply stores to find small buttons, charms, scrapbook embellishments, brads and eyelets, foam objects, felt objects, table sprinkles (larger, sturdier confetti that look like little miniatures) and sequins to fill the bag. You can get polly pellets at craft stores or online. You can also use stuff from around the house. A small pebble or rock, a straw (cut into a small piece), a piece of yarn, a rubber band, a colored paper clip, a b-day cake candle, a crayon, fun erasures shaped as objects, a puzzle piece, old game pieces, scrap toys (a barbie shoe, a lego, a wheel from a broken hot wheel car,) etc... Look around your home and you will be surprised at what you may already have.

There are tons of websites to get cheap stuff for the bags. When I purchase the stuff for the super Saturday I will give you all a list of what I used and where I purchased it.

Maybe you can make your own bags for your kids or as gifts.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you're keeping the costs low!!

Sorensens said...

Hi Kara, My girls have one and they love it, it is perfect to take to church as a little toy that makes no noise.