I was going to save the best for last. But, I decided to not make you wait any longer.
So you want to know what new love and passion has taken over my life? Well. It is not exactly new. I've had a few love affairs that went no where. Some showed promise but I got bored too fast. I left each and every one of them behind in search of something new. Something different and exciting. Then, I found it. It was right under my nose all along.
It was an old fling. From 10 years ago.
It was hidden. Tucked away. But not forgotten. Waiting for that spark to ignite again. When I found it I new it was right. I delved into it. Giving it my heart and soul. I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep. I was sleep deprived, exhausted, probably malnourished. Some may have called me obsessed. Every spare moment I had I gave to my new love.
As the days and weeks passed my love for it grew. It was all I thought about. All I dreamt about. It was a match made in Heaven. Finally, I found it.
The right story.
My carpal tunnel aches. I brought back calluses I haven't seen since my high school days. I have new wrinkles and bags under my eyes. My office is a mess. I drained office depot of all their printer ink. Used more pens and paper in 6 months than an entire high school of students uses in a year.
But, it was all worth it.
I did it. My love has turned into something I never could have imagined.
I am proud to announce the fruits of my labor.
It's a 144,000 word, 24 chapter long, YA fantasy novel.
I've tried my hand at poetry, short stories, picture books, adult fantasy, middle grade novels, even a mystery. Nothing stuck. The flame fizzled out long before I could finish anything.
Who knew that something that I plotted 10 years ago would be the right story for me today?
It is so gratifying to look at a completed manuscript. I have written a lot of great beginnings. Plotted a lot of great middles. This year, I finally wrote an ending.
I am now moving into the next stage. Revision. I expect that I will revise my story at least 3-4 times before I feel it is ready to search for a publisher. It still keeps me busy. It still keeps me up at night. I am still obsessed over it.
So, please forgive me if I disappear every now and then. It's not you. It's me.
I never understood the love affair authors have with their stories until now. It is amazing. I feel a part of my story. I know my characters intimately. To me they are real. I hear their voices, see their faces. I feel their pain, I feel their love, I feel their every emotion, every need, every desire. I live in their world and I enjoy every minute of it.
Someday, I hope that all of you will have the chance to meet them too!
5 comments:
I'm so glad that I have been blog stalked by someone as awesome as you. You're writing/revising a book?! That's wonderful and probably quite the invigorating experience! I can't wait to read it. I'm a big fantasy fan but do try to branch out and make myself read other stuff and almost always enjoy the detour. I've just read the funnest 3 bookes, the Eugenides Series by Megan Whalen Turner and loved them to bits! Good luck revising and revising and let us all know when to start lining up at Barnes and Nobel for our own copy. --Becky p.s. tell your family hi for me.
Your big announcement - how cool! I'm glad you finally told everyone. And coming from someone that has had the inside scoop, I am DEFINITELY excited to read the entire copy. What I've read has been SO GOOD! Chris and I are so excited and proud of you. Good luck revising! Love you!
Hey Stephanie Meyer, j/k that is how she started and how she views her characters, you might have the next new york times best seller:) Congrats, it is a gratifying feeling isn't it. Good luck!
Good for you! How exciting! Glad you are doing something you love.
I want a copy!! Congrats.. that is awesome!! I LOVE reading so I am super excited to read this novel!
Post a Comment